Freelance Pay

Brian W

How much $ USD do you get an hour freelancing?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How much $ USD do you get an hour freelancing?

• 0-10
    • 11-25
    • 26-40
    • 41-55
    • 56-70
    • 71-__

Lately I have delved into the world of the freelancer and I would like to know how much people are getting paid over there. This serves two purposes: I'd like to pick up a gig or two from the freelancing board and I'm also wondering what I should expect to pay for the work I'm asking for.

I know that pay is very closely correlated with experience/skill, but I'm just trying to draw an average.

Also, do you provide a link to a portfolio or anything usually?

Yeah, you should definitely show them a portfolio of your work

Your pay rate should reflect:

a) the quality of work you put out

b) the time it takes you to put out quality work

A question you might ask yourself:

a) how much my time worth to me?

Isn't that question about as relevant as when clients ask how much an average website costs? 

My favorite response to that is that bbc.co.uk has an annual budget of around £145 million, so they should budget for something around there for the same type of quality. 

points taken...

See, I placed the poll up there for a reason. I understand that I myself must judge my worth based on factors such as my quality, speed, and ability to market myself...

So I used the poll to see what other people thought they were worth just to help me gauge my own worth.

Currently with my job, I'm underpaid. I've excepted this and will for several more months because my employer hired me as an intern essentially and paid me to learn. Good deal for both of us because at first he paid me more than I was worth now he pays me less. All is right and fair.

Anyways, I know I am worth more that what I'm payed because I compared to what other people (here on phpfreaks) get payed vs there experience.

thanks for your time and replies

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.