Search APP

dubfoundry

hi im building a search app and running into some prob...

my code seem to be written correctly it connects to the database perfectly...but it doesnt yeild any results ..i just get the same page in return with no records...nor no errors.

here's the code...

<?php
    if (isset($_POST['submit'])){
if(isset($_GET['go'])){ 
if(preg_match("^/[A-Za-z]+/^", $_POST['name'])){ 
   $name=$_POST['name']; 

//connect  to the database 
  $db=mysql_connect ("localhost",  "root", "") or die ('I cannot connect  to the database because: ' . mysql_error());

//-select  the database to use 
  $mydb=mysql_select_db("sakila");
  $sql="SELECT actor_id, first_name, last_name FROM actor WHERE  first_name LIKE '%" . $name . "%' OR last_name LIKE '%" . $name  ."%'"; 

$result=mysql_query($sql); 

//-create  while loop and loop through result set 
  while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)){ 
          $FirstName  =$row['first_name']; 
          $LastName=$row['last_name']; 
          $ID=$row['actor_id']; 

//-display the result of the array 
  echo "<ul>\n"; 
  echo "<li>" . "<a  href=\"search.php?id=$ID\">"   .$FirstName . " " . $LastName .  "</a></li>\n"; 
  echo "</ul>"; 
}}
}else{

echo "<p>please enter a search parameter</p>";

}
}

?>

any ideas are welcome thanks guys...

are you posting this to a page like /search.php?go=xxx

I don't have a problem with mixing get and post data - just wondering if you have used $_GET['go'] when you meant $_POST.

to check i suggest you echo out your query string just before you run it.

yea your right its the sql syntax it doesnt work at all when queried directly i got the result was empty...i took the $name variable out and used a letter like p...

This worked once or twice but stop working it went back to just giving a empty respoinse....

can you tell if my syntax is inccorect check it

SELECT actor_id, first_name, last_name FROM actor WHERE  first_name LIKE '%" . p . "%' OR last_name LIKE '%" . p  ."%';

last check - put...

if (isset($_POST) && count($_POST) > 0){ print_r($_POST); }

at the top of your code and see what is passed to the page. You should be able to see what is in the 'name' element.

also echo out your query immediately before running it to see if the string contains your search terms..

echo $sql;
  $result=mysql_query($sql);

use that information to check that you are assigning the correct value to $name.  The query in your code is fine providing that $name is being corretly assigned a value.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.