[SOLVED] Out of memory

maddogandnoriko

My script is importing a 400-500k xml file and putting it into an array. I am getting an error:

Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/VideoMainframe/includes/classes/simplexml.php on line 282

I know what it means I think, out of 8megs of memory. Something is wrong. Is there a way to determine how much memory a script is using? Like echo or print the value so i can try to see where the memory spikes up? Also...any hints on tracking this error would be a great help. I will look for infinite loops, but a quick look revealed none. Is there a way to print ALL vars available to the script? Maybe I can spot it that way... Oh yeah I changed all of my requires to require_once too. There is too much code in too many files to post yet.....until I can narrow the problem down.

thank you very very much,

maddogandnoriko

Your code is either doing something that directly consumes a lot of memory or it has a logic error, like a loop that never ends, that causes all available memory to be consumed.

Posting your code would be the quickest way for someone else to determine the most likely cause.

I was using a simplexml class that was created for ph pre5.xx. I have decided to abandon that and use php5. For loading a large(ish) file like 400-500k, which would take up less memory, simplexml or xml_parser? I really can't post the code it is spread across a number of includes and classes. I am trying to narrow it down a bit so I can post the offending code.

maddogandnoriko

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.