Cannot load mysql ext

Hi guys, let me introduce myself - Im a noob to php, but have experience of xhtml and css; and i stumbled across you guys after loads of googling for the below problem! A bit of a freelance web designer too; so you'll see me lurking around the html and css forums mostly, and also contributing on business and freelancing topics (im undergrad business student).

Please accept me into your php fold.

Im having an error message of "Cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration." Ive changed all the \ to / in the php.ini file, but to no avail.

My research tells me this is down to the slashes, but ive changed them, restarted apache and no avail. My environment is Windows Vista running xampp.

Can anyone shed some light?

I've also made sure that the extension_dir points to the directory which contains the php_mysql.dll and made sure the comment was removed from the ;extension=php_mbstring.dll (it was already).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.