WHERE WHERE WHERE

NoDoze

SELECT * FROM publications WHERE type='presentation' AND type='publication' AND keyw='groundwater' ORDER BY pubdate DESC

WHERE?

AND?

How would I do this type of query?

I can't find anything on google or even this forum about multiple WHERE queries...

Thanks!

Most likely you need OR not AND

Think about it. An item cannot be a publication and a presentation at one time.

SELECT * FROM publications WHERE (type='presentation' OR type='publication') AND keyw='groundwater' ORDER BY pubdate DESC

SQL grammar is a bit diffrent ;)

Imagine that you take one row from a table at a time, and check if it matches conditions. You find a row that has type = 'presentation'

If the condition is: type='presentation' AND type='publication'

you say: 'let's see.. hmm.. the type is 'presentation' fine... now I check another part of condition... oops... the type is not 'publication', this row does not match criteria

If the condition is: type='publication' OR type='presentation'

you say: 'let's see.. hmm.. the type is not 'publication' but there's another condition, let's check it... the type can also be 'presentation'.. it is! this row matches criteria

This post was brought to you by late night SQL stories.

SQL grammar is a bit diffrent ;)

Imagine that you take one row from a table at a time, and check if it matches conditions. You find a row that has type = 'presentation'

If the condition is: type='presentation' AND type='publication'

you say: 'let's see.. hmm.. the type is 'presentation' fine... now I check another part of condition... oops... the type is not 'publication', this row does not match criteria

If the condition is: type='publication' OR type='presentation'

you say: 'let's see.. hmm.. the type is not 'publication' but there's another condition, let's check it... the type can also be 'presentation'.. it is! this row matches criteria

This post was brought to you by late night SQL stories.

LMAO, I like that, good sense of humour.

Helps make learning a little less boring =D

hehe...funny...

Now I have an additional question...kinda related....

I also have a column for keywords (keyw) with entries like, on some rows:

bh nn ds bdb bkh

another row

bh ds

another row

bdb

I want the query to pull up all records that have bh in the keyw, how would I do this?

Cause right now with a query for bh, it's not pullin up anything cause it sees the entire row 'bh nn ds bdb bkh' as a value.

WHERE type='report' AND keyw='bh'

Would I use %bh%, or bh%...? But neither of those pull up anything either....

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.