Is PHP right for me?

JTKnight85

I'm interested in building a website, I have a host that I'd been using to run a MUD that I programmed for the last several years. Anyway, on to my questions/concerns.

My server information:

Operating system: Linux

PHP version: 4.4.9

MySQL version: 5.0.75-community-log

Apache version: 2.2.11 (Unix)

I know absolutely nothing about PHP, honestly. But here is what I'm looking for feature wise:

An index page that is public accessable, with a compact login/register applet with email verification and possibly a captcha image. Once logged in through verified accounts, the members should be able to access the subdomains from the index page via the links on the page. If they aren't logged in, it redirects them back to the index page and echoes "You must log in to view this page" somewhere on the index page so they will notice it.

I'd also like the information in the registration page to register their account for use with my forums, I prefer SMF at this point. Mainly this would be to protect my users information, and keep spam down on the forums, and also to give me greater control in banishing problem users from the site which I plan to have a chat system installed on; which would benefit greatly from users needing verified accounts to access the chat page. I don't want to make users create a hundred different accounts for the chat, so I wont have a specific registration for that, but to prevent access from those not logged in with a main account would be nice.

I hope that all made sense, and hopefully PHP is the way to go for something like this. I'm not completely new to programming, but some direction, advise, wisdom, and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Oh, the chat is going to be used for a sort of free form roleplaying game, so that is why I mentioned not wanting to limit the users to using log in information with it. No passwords, just chat handles so they can feel free to use as many characters as they like without remembering a billion login details. One universal log in for the whole site.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.