website critique

BradleyBrokers

Howdy, the site: www.BradleyBrokers.com

How would you make the site easier to use for the Administrator and/or Customer? What would you suggest to make the site more profitable?

-Currently, nothing is being done in sql. Updates to listings are done in PHP.

-No CAPTUCHA. Sometimes I shift/add/change entry fields when email spam gets too annoying.

-Email replies for "More Information" are not automated.

If you were to change any of those things, or anything else, how would you suggest doing it?

Thanks! TJB

What would you suggest to make the site more profitable?

Hi Brad.

After looking at your site (I see you deal with the food sector), I can honestly say that I feel (without trying to sound rude) that perhaps the general direction you have chosen might not be in your best interest. Allow me to explain my personal opinion as to why...

Since you deal in the food and beverage industry, I start to think of restaurants, bars, taverns and the like, and I ask myself, 'How would they present themselves online?' I know you are not a restaurant or pub.. but perhaps 'borrowing' some aspects from sites that deal with those might help make you image more presentable / professional / welcoming.

So I popped on over at monstertemplates.com, and did a category search on 'food and drink'.

When you visit that page, you start to immediately see the 'cultural representation' of food and beverages made manifest as sites. I'll tell you what I see when I start looking at those samples... For the most part, Warm to hot, vibrant colours that are supported by professional, elegant closeup images of food and drinks! At an immediate glance, I feel warm and fuzzy inside (OK, that was lame, but you get the idea). To rephrase, it feels inviting.

When I examine yours site, it lacks those things. Again, I know you are not a restaurant, but perhaps 'taking a page from those examples' would do wonders in supplementing that industry by having your site 'fit in' with that industry.

As it stands, your site is in stark contrast. Just a few notes to add with regards to what you have:

- On the homepage, I am not fond of the top introductory animation to be honest. Without trying to sound rude, it looks amateurish. I would instead consider getting yourself a nice logo or logotype (read: brand yourself) and use that in it's place instead.

- I'm not a fan of the top vertical menu. I think this would look better horizontal and placed just below your image banner.. On the note of that banner image, I would consider filling up the entire space with nice professional images of food and beverages that catch the eye.

- I find the choice of colours overall drab. I think I would lean towards colours that are warm and inviting (much like in some of those examples in the link I provided).

- The overall layout, look and feel of the main section of the page looks strange. The prominence is on the three image links, with the description about who and what you do is to the side.

All in all, I think there are many issues IMO (layouts, colours, choices of images, etc..) Perhaps a redesign might be in order? This is all subjective of course, but I believe that you can build / brand yourself into a professional looking online presence that is on the level with some of those examples provided.. If your site looks like it belongs in the food and beverages industry, you've probably got a better shot at things from the standpoint of having an online presence.

If making too many changes to the current design is too much work or too daunting, perhaps one option could include purchasing one of those templates (which aren't really costly) and making the necessary modifications to make it 'your own' while retaining the general food and beverages look?

Since you are a business, it is paramount to present yourself in the best light possible online. Just scanning through those samples should start to get ideas going in motion on how you can improve on things like colour choice, layouts, images, branding and whatnot.

IMO, be bold, be colourful, be attention grabbing! If it costs extra money for professional stock images (and perhaps a template), wouldn't it be worth it if it really helps generate more sales? There's a saying 'You have to spend money to make money'. Granted, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to look good! There are plenty of template / stock photo sites that can offer much for little.

Hi NRG Alpha,

Thanks for the feedback... I have used the BradleyBrokers website with success for approx 5 years. The differences in layout style preferences -- "I-like-this-I-don't-like-that"  -- for the intro flash, color, and menu placement are, perhaps, correct. Stlye stuff is imporatnt and at the same time can drive anyone crazy if they ponder too long.

Yet, as you indicate, I am not a B2C but rather a B2B. I am not a seller of food. The better website comparison might be to others who are also business brokers of food and beverage businesses? I say that in part b/c I think my site (art-style-wise) kicks the competition's butt.

While I could template-update or DIY-tweek the art-style-picture stuff, what I am more concerned with is making life easier for my customers and helpers. Am I providing teh best website experience and integrating it well for this business application?

I am nearing the point where I want to be able to teach someone quickly who has no programming skills how to update my listings without messing-up the website. I also think I might be missing the boat in CRM by not using auto-responces and automated followups to requests. Could I be databasing with sql to make life easier or would that be just another pain-in-the-neck process and/or annoy my customers with a "spam-like" feel? 

If sql, databasing, and autoresponders are the answer, should I rely on templates ---if so which ones are good? Should I hire a programmer? If so, how much should I expect to pay? Or, should I try to DIY? Or, perhaps, changing nothing is better than alternatives? Any opinions would be helpful.  TJB

Yet, as you indicate, I am not a B2C but rather a B2B. I am not a seller of food. The better website comparison might be to others who are also business brokers of food and beverage businesses? I say that in part b/c I think my site (art-style-wise) kicks the competition's butt.

If the current design works, then great. I'm thinking from a visual standpoint to spice things up, for a more porfessionally polished image (no offense intended). But if you already have good client traffic on your site, then all the better.

While I could template-update or DIY-tweek the art-style-picture stuff, what I am more concerned with is making life easier for my customers and helpers. Am I providing teh best website experience and integrating it well for this business application?

Have you conducted perhaps some usability / user tests? It is possible to set up focus groups to test the site / application in question and give you their feedback.

I am nearing the point where I want to be able to teach someone quickly who has no programming skills how to update my listings without messing-up the website. I also think I might be missing the boat in CRM by not using auto-responces and automated followups to requests. Could I be databasing with sql to make life easier or would that be just another pain-in-the-neck process and/or annoy my customers with a "spam-like" feel?

I don't see why it couldn't be done using databases. I guess it boils down to how user friendly the system would be for customers to use. The choice in design and representation would certainly be key in this area to be sure. If done correctly (meaning its very easy for your clients to log-in and utilize this system with the least amount of work on their part), it could certainly go the distance in dealing with your clients on line.

If sql, databasing, and autoresponders are the answer, should I rely on templates ---if so which ones are good? Should I hire a programmer? If so, how much should I expect to pay? Or, should I try to DIY? Or, perhaps, changing nothing is better than alternatives? Any opinions would be helpful.  TJB

As far as which ones are good, that's a question I personally cannot answer, as I don't deal with these kind of things to be honest. Other members here may be able to make some suggestions. If you are knowledgeable enough (or have enough time to educate yourself) to DIY, that's one possibility. Otherwise, it may be wiser to turn to other sources for that. As far as costs and what not, that varies... Much like anything else, it would be a matter of shopping around, checking prices, qualifications, etc..

I guess at the end of the day, if a system like that means better business for your clients, it would certainly be worth it.

If you want to make it better accessible you need to use semantic tags instead of tables, divs and spans.

For example the links at the top, should be an <ul> there. (better your search engine rating as well)

Contact information, stick it in an <address> element.

Those divs you're already using where they shouldn't, use them were they should be used.. for the design, instead of using tables for that.

Include the links under the images on the left in the same <a>, just style them so they look the same as they do atm.

You're using <br's> to seperate paragraphs, why not use <p>? You can style it using padding or margin to look the same as it does atm.

Use labels in the contact form instead of <b>, you can style the labels to have fat text in a stylesheet like "label { font-weight: bolder; }"

If you really want it be accessible to everyone, try viewing your page in lynx so you get a better idea of how the site looks in "alternative browsers".

And like already mentioned above, it doesn't have the "feel" of the target group. If I had to guess what it was by design only I'd guess it was a Lawyers site.

Usually these type of sites have warmer colors, wine-red and pie-crust brown.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.