[SOLVED] error with posting from php to mysql

cloudy243

When i try to insert some variables into a mysql database from php

php code:

$sql="INSERT INTO posts (user, post, order)

VALUES

('$name','$post_put','$num')";

I get this error:

Error, please report to harris(webmaster): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'order) VALUES ('harris','

test

','2')' at line 1

if i use this code:

$sql="INSERT INTO posts (user, post)

VALUES

('$name','$post_put'')";

it works. can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong when i add on order. Yes the order columb in the mysql db is made and if i echo $num i get the number i want to go into the database, just something is wrong when it tries to put the # into the db

ok thanks for the help it worked also now i have a new problem. I am making a website where i want some areas to ignore html/php and just display the code, so i put <xmp> </xmp> around the code, but i want to still allow <br />'s. without going <xmp> code </xmp><br /> <xmp> morecode </xmp> is there a way i can have php search the file and replace <br /> with </xmp> <br /> <xmp> so i dont have to type extra lol. the <xmp> code <br /> morecode </xmp> is displayed using echo "$post";

so for example if i have the following script

<?php

$post = " <xmp> Welcome to ForumZ <br /> We host your forums! <br /> Have a nice day!!! </xmp>";

echo $post;

?>

how would i make it find the <"br />" and replace them with "</xmp> <br /> <xmp>" without the quotes. You dont really need to know what <xmp> is, i just need to know how to make it find and replace in the code.

for those of you who dont know anything in <xmp> </xmp> will have it's html ignored, so if you are writting a website or something you can show coding by saying <xmp> <br /> </xmp> and on a normal website you wont see a line down but instead the code

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.