Rewrite not redirect

emma57573

The following code works by redirecting, example:

www.mydomain.co.uk/gifts/art.html

goes to

http://www.mydomain.co.uk/handmade-gifts.php?cid=Art

Thats all great and works HOWEVER It redirects (which yes is what I wanted) BUT the address bar changes to the long address but what I really want to do is keep the clean address in the address bar to fool SE into thinking they are looking at www.mydomain.co.uk/gifts/art.html as a static page.

I know this must be possible as Ive seen lots of sites doing the same thing what am I doing wrong? I should add im new to .htaccess and learning as I go!

Options +FollowSymlinks

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.mydomain.co.uk
RewriteRule ^gifts\/(.*)\.html http://www.mydomain.co.uk/handmade-gifts.php?cid=$1 [NC]

I still havnt had a chance to dig deep into this, anyone have an suggestions?? I thought when I did the mod rewrite it would change the domain and so the domain would stay in the address bar but it seems all it does is send a redirect.

I want to use this rule for all my dynamic pages, but I dont want this type of redirection as I dont want to get penalized by google for having redirects everywhere!

Maybe Im barking up the wrong tree with .htaccess altogether and theres another way round it altogether.

As I said its going to the right page and the link its right every things good apart from the fact the the redirection shows the dynamic page in the menu bar. I just dont want it to look like a redirection (even though it kind of is?? )  :-\

Thank you, the only reason I put the full domain in was because it was looking for a directory ive added ../ and its fine now thanks.

However its still showing as a redirect and showing the full domain in the address bar instead of my nice new clean domain  :-\

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.