[SOLVED] too much to process

jakebur01

How can I optimize this to make it run better. As of now it will not even do a few zip codes. Is there any way to like sleep in between each loop or something?

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM zip_code where `state_prefix` = 'OK'", $db) or die(mysql_error());

while($myrow = mysql_fetch_array ($result))
{

$zip=$myrow['zip_code'];

$html = file_get_html('http://www.my-site.com/test.asp?transaction=search&template=map_search&search1=0&pwidth=400&pheight=700&proxIconId=400&proxIcons=1&search2=0&search3=1&country=US&searchQuantifier=AND&address=&city=&stateProvince=+&postalCode=$zip&radius=500&x=78&y=16');

$i = 0;
$tmp = $html->find('span[class=mqEmp], span[class=Black11]');
$cnt = count($tmp) - 1;
foreach($tmp as $e) {
    if($i > 0 && $i < $cnt){
        echo $e->plaintext . '<br>';
    }
    $i++;
}

}

The main problem as far as efficiency goes with your code is that you have a loop inside a loop inside a loop.

Think of it like this;

Loop a goes around 10 times

Loop b goes around 5 times

Loop c goes around 10 times

//code

End loop c

End loop b

End Loop a

Those loops will be run through a total of 500 times despite the small number in each loop's stop condition. Adding 1 to the number of times any one of those loops will cause the total number of times the code is executed to rocket.

Loops inside loops should be avoided where possible and loops inside loops that are inside loops should definitely be avoided - but unfortunately, it's not always possible.

As far as your code goes: I have no idea what your code is supposed to do, so I can't really advise as to how to make your code more efficient.

your loops are fine.. i use 3-5 nested loops regularly but as jake pointed out above, you need to control your resultset.  only limit your results to 20-50 and make a (next,previous) button to provide a method to the user to get the next set of results.

It is not to bad if I limit it by one state at a time. It is actually faster than I expected after I fixed that little quote issue.

I have search and not been able to figure how to tab after x number of loops when writing to a text file. I would like to write 8 fields then tab to a new line. Something like:

$i = 0;
$tmp = $html->find('span[class=mqEmp], span[class=Black11]');
$cnt = count($tmp) - 1;
foreach($tmp as $e) {
    if($i > 0 && $i < $cnt){

$outputstring=$e->plaintext . '\t';

fwrite($fp, $outputstring, strlen($outputstring));

// if eighth field, then start a new row    something like:  fwrite($fp, \n);

}
    $i++;
}

instead of tabbing to a new line why not use the new line, character feed???  \n\r

Edit:  remember that tabs have nothing to do with new lines.  the fact that some text editors WRAP lines after a certain amount of characters has nothing to do with line termination, has to do with visible line space.  =D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.