[SOLVED] What's the opposite of this query?

ahs10

UPDATE db.temp_tbl AS temp, db.live_tbl AS curr SET curr.delete = 0 WHERE temp.name = curr.name AND temp.number = curr.number

if the name and number of each row are the same in both tables, delete is set to 0.  however my attempts to reverse this statement, changing it to a negative, fail miserably...

UPDATE db.temp_tbl AS temp, db.live_tbl AS curr SET curr.delete = 1 WHERE temp.name != curr.name AND temp.number != curr.number

i know how to do this in php, but was hoping to do it in my query.  would it be best to get the results into php and run it through a loop for comparison of these two fields?

so after some investigation, i found i wasn't really asking the right question =)

i found a possible solution.  is this working like i think it works?  i want to set `delete` = 1 for each row that has a different name or number in the two tables.  however, number can also be NULL... as long as it is NULL in both tables, it's good.

UPDATE db.live_tbl AS curr LEFT OUTER JOIN db.temp_tbl AS temp ON (curr.name = temp.name AND curr.number = temp.number) SET curr.delete = 1 WHERE temp.name IS NULL AND temp.number IS NULL AND curr.number IS NOT NULL

wow, not only am i talking to myself, but i'm answering myself too. isn't that a sign of mental illness? ha ha....

my last attempt was not correct. here's the query that i confirm works for my needs, in case it can help someone else out....

UPDATE db.live_tbl AS curr LEFT OUTER JOIN db.temp_tbl AS temp ON (curr.name = temp.name AND curr.number = temp.number) SET curr.delete = 1 WHERE temp.name IS NULL OR temp.number != curr.number

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.