foreach() on $_POST help needed

cs.punk

This foreach thing is kinda werid too, if you make it echo out a $varible, you expect the contents of the varible to appear right?... It echos out the varible name :-?  :o

<form id="form1" name="form1" method="post" action="foreach.php">
Form for the $_POST foreach thing <input name="wow" type="text" />
							  <input name="wow2" type="submit"  value="SUMBIME"/>
</form>

<?php
include "mysqlcon.php";

if(get_magic_quotes_gpc()) 
{echo "Warning: Magic Quotes is on!";
}

$con = mysqli_connect ("$dbhost","$dbuser","$dbpass","$dbname")
   or die ("Could not connect to server");

if (isset($_POST['wow2']))
{echo "\$post['wow2'] is set!<br/>";
}
else
{echo "\$post['wow2'] is not set!<br/>";
}

foreach($_POST as $var => $value )
{$_POST['$var'] = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, strip_tags(trim($value)));
  echo "$var is = $value  !!<br/>";
}

echo "<br/>"; 

foreach($_POST as $var => $value )
{echo "$var is = $value<br/>";
}
?>

Also I noticed that I had magic quotes turn on, ~what made me think it was off?~ I inserted a data from $_POST and NO slashes were on, only when you echo out the $_POST array... Weird or what?

first of all, check your echo ... you're using $post instead of $_POST, so I imagine that might solve part of your problem.

Secondly, what's the use of saying $_POST['wow2'] is not set ... when it's not set? Then you can't print/echo it either because there's just nothing there.

Thirdly, you're writing an array-record inside an echo. I would do it like this:

echo $_POST['wow2']." is set!<br/>";

OR

print("{$_POST['wow2']} is set!<br/>");

then, your foreach function is pretty weird too ... you're trying to 'modify' your $value of your $_POST results I figure? There's no point storing them inside $_POST['$var'], try doing it this way instead:

foreach($_POST as $var=>$value) {
$value = strip_tags(trim($value));
$value = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $value);
echo $var." is = ".$value." !!<br/>";
}
}

Something like that, I'm at work so I didn't check it myself :-)

first of all, check your echo ... you're using $post instead of $_POST, so I imagine that might solve part of your problem.

// I don't want to use $post I want to modify the actual $_POST

Secondly, what's the use of saying $_POST['wow2'] is not set ... when it's not set? Then you can't print/echo it either because there's just nothing there.

//Thats just to let me understand this whole foreach() thing

Thirdly, you're writing an array-record inside an echo. I would do it like this:

echo $_POST['wow2']." is set!<br/>";

OR

print("{$_POST['wow2']} is set!<br/>");

then, your foreach function is pretty weird too ... you're trying to 'modify' your $value of your $_POST results I figure? There's no point storing them inside $_POST['$var'], try doing it this way instead:

foreach($_POST as $var=>$value) {
$value = strip_tags(trim($value));
$value = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $value);
echo $var." is = ".$value." !!<br/>";
}
}

Something like that, I'm at work so I didn't check it myself :-)

And there is a point, insted of doing a check on all $_POST results, can't I have a simple 'array fuction' of somesort...

Just going back to the original post -- again, you seem to be questioning things as if your version of PHP is doing something odd, when in fact based on your code things are working exactly as designed.

I already advised you previously not to change the $_POST.  There's no point in attempting to sanitize the entire $_POST with mysql_real_escape_string(), as that function is specifically only designed to be used when you are sure you are going to insert a STRING into mysql.  If your form has other data types, there' s no reason to be escaping them in advance.

Regardless, best as I can tell, your complaint is that mysql_real_escape_string() doesn't take a whole array for your convenience.  It simply doesn't.

My feedback to you, respectfully, is that your original post

-Didn't have any clear questions in it

You'll find you get much better answers to questions you might have if you ask clear questions.

For example:

This foreach thing is kinda werid too, if you make it echo out a $varible, you expect the contents of the varible to appear right?... It echos out the varible name :-?

Barely a question here, and worst of all, you didn't provide any example output for us to see.  We aren't mind readers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.