Building OOP PHP software

LemonInflux

Hey guys, this is a bit vague so sorry, but I'm trying to do this project with as little help as possible.

I have a plan to make a CMS software core that can be extended via modules using a core API to access internal functions (database, sessions etc) and am having quite a large problem...

I don't know where to start!

Do I start with the framework? Code the core module and then design the framework around it? I have a fairly clear idea of how things will work; my problem is getting them down in PHP!

I've been trying for a while, but I guess if you're not sure where to go first it's hard to do anything, so really I'm just looking for some ideas for good ways to organize its growth.

Any help appreciated; thanks!

well, since you are writing your own CMS from scratch, I assume you have tried several other CMS systems and felt dissatisfied. i would start with a list of things that you did and didn't like about past CMS systems you've used

I'd suggest reading some oop classics (gang of four), but for future PHP architects I recommend this book:

Appres - Matt Zandstra - PHP Object, Patterns, and Practice

Patterns found also at wikipedia are the solution. Martin Flower is also a good author..

Greg

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear enough;

I'm not asking for references to design patterns and such, I know what I'd use for which bits and how they would work. My problem is that I can't find a way to organise and plan development; I start on something and then think there'd be better places to start. So what I'm asking for is a good way of planning in which order the application will be built.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.