Advanced web printing

xenophobia

I'am no familiar with Flash's action script, but I knew that there is a way to print document through Flash movie.

As we (web designer/coder) all knows that there is some draw back using browser's printing. The annoying header & footer, you can't customized which content to fit in which page especially when you creating a quotation, you can't put the header(company logo) & footer(signature) to be appear on every pages.

So my idea is, if the Flash's printing module is flexible enough that able to let us customize, we can actually develop a Flash printing module, in ActionScript, and then using the Flash's ExternalInterface component to allowed it to interact with the javascript in the hostpage.

By referring to the javascript's API, the programmer are able to send the printing command through javascript and call up the Flash's printing module. So basically the Flash is just a invincible object that hiding behind the page to support the printing.

I do not know whether there already exist this kinda framework, but I wish there is with OpenSource ^^.

What you guys think?

Anyone know what Im talking? If you found that this is interested, I don't mind putting effort to develop it. I can code well in javascript but not ActionScript.

The concept of it will be similar with the swfupload. For those who used it before should know how it's work.

Let's do it! Make it open source!!!

CSS is here for that :

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="print.css" />

Make a CSS that is for print only.

If you want to have lot more control over what is printed why you don't offer the document in 2 differents format like html and pdf.

There are script/module that allow you to dynamically generated a pdf file from server side.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.