[SOLVED] SQL Help on LIKE statement

SPraus

Hey everyone im trying to do a search through a HUGE database for a string but I dont wanna limit it to a single table.

This is what I have

SELECT DISTINCT * FROM aso WHERE * LIKE %'.$phpstring.'%

Can anyone give me help because the * dont work and without it dont work but I dont wanna search every table by sql lol.

Please lemme know.

SPraus

PS sorry if this sounds stupid (now that im thinking of it I think there is a rason but its late so ill still ask lol)

Are all the fields from one table? If so you can do:

WHERE field1 LIKE "%'.$phpstring.'%" OR field2 LIKE "%'.$phpstring.'%" OR field3 LIKE "%'.$phpstring.'%" OR field4 LIKE "%'.$phpstring.'%"

If you need to search various tables you can accomplish this with a union statement or possibly a join depending on what data you want to retrieve.

Thank you for the responce.

Lets see they are all in one table but anoter problem came up so I just changed the search type (just to one area) then being that most the tags were the same I created a dropdown box.

But thank you sou much for the help.

SPraus

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.