upload videos and show on website

jwk811

ok so i figure you can upload videos with the file submit form and put it in the database just like a picture but how can you make the video viewable like the picture without having to download it..

like youtube. people submit videos and you can see them.

also i used the embed video from youtube on my site and nothing showed up and i dont know why. two separate problems please help!!

FFmpeg took my awhile to figure out how to use, just keep going at it.

You would upload the video, convert it and store the path in a db.

Then you would use something like JW flv player (http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/) to display the video.

That's probably the easiest way.

Or looking to using the Youtube or Vimeo API's.

Install ffmpeg on your server, call it via exec to re-encode the video to flv. You can even use ffmpeg to generate a thumbnail for you.

That's about it really on the backend side. To display an flv there is tons of stuff available. I've had good experiences with shadowbox (like lightbox but for flv's too)

I'm pretty sure that I once saw a phpMyYoutube like application (basically youtube as a free php app) but I've never been able to find it since so is possible I imagined it ;-) If there is such an app though that would be an ideal place to start.

how can I install FFMpeg to my server? I am using Godaddy Linux Hosting

most hosting company dont have the have the feature to support ffmpeg unless you have a deticated server however there are a few out there

apthost and

1 and 1 I believe.

Just do a google search for ffmpeg hosting companys and you need to ask godaddy if you can use ffmpeg on a shared server unless you want to pay for a deticated in which case you need to take care of security and updates and so on. So if you dont have experience with that I would switch to a hosting company that does support ffmpeg such as apthost.

Not trying to market apthost just the only one i can think of off the top of my head.

I use dreamhost (Lots of people seem to know some how ;))

They have FFMpeg installed on all their shared servers, and if you need any other software, they allow you to install and use it on their servers (as long as it doesn't listen for inbound network connections). Their VPS Does allow you to do this though.

More information: http://dreamhost.com/hosting.html

I use dreamhost (Lots of people seem to know some how ;))

They have FFMpeg installed on all their shared servers, and if you need any other software, they allow you to install and use it on their servers (as long as it doesn't listen for inbound network connections). Their VPS Does allow you to do this though.

More information: http://dreamhost.com/hosting.html

That actualy looks like a nice package

Well if you have that may I just finding some sort of free ware video player and then install it usally its a simple as pasteing in the files then adding the correct permission

I learned alot from downloading and instally a community the host videos like phpdolphin. I studied how they did it.

Installing something like that is not going to be a short easy process there are a lot of little things to fus with. My steps would be

Find an upload script that will convert and store the information into a database and install

Then find a video player in from flash that will read your database and install

then put it on a page

Are you trying to create a video community or something or is it so you can host your own videos?

yes im creating a video community. its a site for quading where users will upload their videos.

i contacted godaddy and they dont have that installed on the server they said "I suggest uploading videos into the format you intend to display them at or find an alternative to stream the audio and video that you have uploaded to the server."

so i need to find a way to upload the videos.. i still am clueless as to how this works haha

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.