[SOLVED] Compare two ints for equality, without comparison operators.

FWDrew

Hey Everyone,

I'm a long time fan of this site but I hardly post. I was reading some programming interview questions on a blog the other day and one of them was "Write a function that checks if two ints are equal without using comparison operators." Now, I know it's a dumb question as this would really never happen in a production environment, but it got me thinking.

I am not a php pro by any means, but I enjoy the language and would like to learn more. Below is what I came up with, which gets the job done but feels very sloppy. What would you guys do to solve this? How could I improve my code?

My attempt:

<?php
ini_set("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL); 

function int_equal_check($int_one, $int_two){

$int_one = explode(' ', $int_one);
$int_two = explode(' ', $int_two);
$int_array = array_merge($int_one, $int_two);

//Will strip out any repeated values in an array 
//Now we can check if there is only one value in the array, meaning a match was found.
$uniq_array = array_unique($int_array);

if(isset($uniq_array[1])){
	echo 'Numbers are different!';
}	
else{
	echo 'Numbers are the same!';
}
}

int_equal_check(1, 20);
echo '<br />';
int_equal_check(35, 35);
?>

A bit nervous putting my code out there as I know it will get torn apart but I'm always willing to learn a better way  :)

Regards,

Drew

Edit-I also wasn't sure what section to put this in as technically I don't need 'help'. I'm just curious as to what others would do and how I could improve my code. Apologies if this thread belongs elsewhere.

function int_equal_check($one,$two) {
  if (strcmp($one,$two)) 
    return false;
  return true;
}

if (bccomp($one,$two)) 
    return false;
  return true;
}

if (gmp_cmp($one,$two)) 
    return false;
  return true;
}

if (preg_match("~^{$one}$~",$two))
    return true;
  return false;
}

man I could go on all night... (edit: fixed regex pattern forgot start/end)

Why were you exploding by " " in your code, by the way?  Just curious.

yeah...I meant to also post on that...just cut to the chase and do $int_array = array($int_one,$int_two);

I was completely over thinking this when I wrote it (hindsight is always 20/20) but I should have just cut to the chase like Crayon Violent said. Anyway, like I said I am no php pro, but I enjoy watching everyone come up with different (and much better solutions) than mine. I'm learning :)

BTW, thanks very much Crayon Violent, you have introduced me to some new functions that I'm looking up now.

Regards,

Drew

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.