where to start

shrimppot

I'll start at the beginning.  I learned everything I know about HTML from htmlgoodies.  I have a decent grasp of html, and now i want to further myself.  What I want to do is create a site where people can upload photos and videos.  Best case scenario I would like it to include user registration and possibly a voting system.  So far all I have come up with is that I need to use php in some fashion.  What I need to know is:

What else do I need to learn?

What programs will I need?

Do I need a domain name/host to start or can I do it locally while learning?

If so, can anyone suggest which to hosting service to use?

I want the site to be free, is it going to cost me alot to run?

I am not asking anyone to do this for me, I want to learn to do it on my own, I am just a little overwhelmed.  I have a vision of what I want, just not really sure where to go from here.

If you have gotten this far, thank you for reading my novel, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.