Restaurants Search Website

taz1mkoko

Hi guys,

I am still working on the project, i need a lot of help please, i have a database which i have put together since January 2009 or nearly ALL restaurants in Surrey. Now, i need to create a search engine onto my site which needs to be user friendly. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START.

www.pbs-store.co.uk is the domain name i am using at the moment whilst i am creating the site, it will change once i have broken through.

Please Please Please help me.

Thank you

Not horrible by any stretch, but lacks style IMO. The 'Surrey Restaurants' could be a nice logotype that sits where the current 'All You Need To Point You To The Right Meal..' is.. This will eliminate the white block with the current Surrey Restaurants which blocks one of the header food images.

Perhaps spice up the side menu with small nice graphical bullets or something (there are free resources for free icons and whatnot that you could implement to spice things up a bit).

On the home page, I would give a description of what exactly the site does. As for database stuff, I guess it's time to take some self initiative, pick up some good books or tutorials on databases.. I would recommend learning about Entity Relationship models, and especially database normalization (very important- way too much info for someone to guide you step by step.. you're better off learning about all this stuff from the ground up IMO. It's the 'hard way', but the 'best way'.)

I'm not a fan of all those restaurant names lumped together (Abinger | Abinger Hammer | Addington | Addlestone | Albury | Alfold....) It's a cluster that could be better organized.. perhaps sections by alphabetical order? Otherwise, the eye gets lost in all that info and is hard to make out specifics just because of the clutter effect.

You don't need any tables for layout purposes.. should use css instead.

12 markup errors isn't bad.. I would go for broke and make it validate.

A nice footer would be nice.. perhaps having the top nav menu built into this along with copyright notices, etc..

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help, i am now going to get started with the "hard work"! i have realised i have more work to do than i thought.

If anyone else has anything to throw in, please feel free.

Thanks again,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.