Can someone help a newbie? :)

mpf

Hi everyone. Thank you for this forum -- I truly appreciate any help you can provide.

I have a website where I offer numerous PDFs for download. I was having a problem with people linking directly to the PDFs from their own website, instead of the page where I include the link for the actual PDF. I found a wonderful open source php download script, that did exactly as I needed -- it allowed me to list a direct link on my webpage to the PDF file, where the URL could not be copied and placed in the browser location bar (it would redirect to a page of my choosing), and it protected/hid the actual directory where I uploaded the files on my server.

Now for the bad part... :(  I tested some of the pages I changed yesterday, and a couple of those download links are no longer forcing the download pop-up -- they are redirecting only to the redirect page I have specified in the script. :( Not only that, any new pages that I set up with the new system, do not work (click on the link I provide on the page and it redirects to my redirect page). I am totally at a loss as to why things would stop working, and why I can no longer use this script. I would be sooo grateful if someone could please offer some advice -- I am about to lose my mind. :(

Thanks so much.

OOPs, forgot to mention the script I was using -- gowondesigns.com/readme/getfile.html

Without having checked out the script, this topic might be of use to you: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,95433.0.html

Thanks for your reply. The code on the page you listed looks like it lists details about the file -- the script I have does not do that since it looks for many files in the folder according to the link I provide on my site. I just can't understand why today it is randomly working, where yesterday it was working fine for me. This sounds like a silly question, but can a script just stop working?

Well, in a nutshell, the idea in the topic I linked to revolves around this header:

header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=".basename($file));

It tells the browser that the file is to be downloaded. You could probably modify the script to include something like that.

Well, in a nutshell, the idea in the topic I linked to revolves around this header:

header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=".basename($file));

It tells the browser that the file is to be downloaded. You could probably modify the script to include something like that.

Thanks for your reply. :) I am not familiar with PHP scripting. Should I have posted this in the 'Third Party PHP Scripts' forum? I would be afraid to change anything without knowing what I was doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.