Two tables with two different structures, need one query

Kinsbane

Hi all!

I have two different tables, with no common fields, to be queried in one query and have the query return one resultset. The reason for this is I am working on a web app that displays listings of files from both tables. I don't want to have two separate queries because then the data from one table will be given precedent over data from another table (I think).. I also don't want to have to use a CRON job to populate a separate table every hour, as these records get updated frequently.

So, I am hoping there's a way to query two tables with no common fields to generate a single result set that I can then display to the end user.  The version of MySQL I have for now is 3.23, although the new webserver we're installing has latest MySQL 5.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance!

Looks like UNION is the way I need to go, but MySQL 3.xx doesn't support it, as we're not using our PHP/MySQL5 server yet. I found this link as a work-around:  www.codewalkers.com/c/a/Database-Articles/Writing-UNION-statements-in-MySQL-3x/ but I can't seem figure out where I put in my conditionals for which rows I want to extract from each table...

Problem with union is that it will fail if both tables do not have the same number of columns.

You can easily work around that... use a cartesan join in definitely worse.

Could you explain a bit further fenway? Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.