[SOLVED] Moving to the previous or next database entry

HokieTracks

Well right now I have this:

<?php
$photoid = $_GET['photoid'];

if ($photoid == $row_photos['id']-1){
$id = $_GET['photoid'] FROM $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
$query = "SELECT * FROM photo WHERE id = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($id) . "' LIMIT 1";
$photos = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($photos);
$row_photos = $row $photoid;
}
?>

What I am trying to do is get the previous photoid (if there is one) from $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] then I can use that id to run the normal MYSQL query then at the end i can subtract 1 to get the previous id.

$row_photos = $row $photoid;

That line is a syntax error.

If you're just navigating by previous entry (current id - 1) and next entry (current id + 1), you don't need to know anything else. Just add or subtract one from the ID you are at now.

<?php

require('connect.php');

if (is_numeric($photoid)){
$query = "SELECT * FROM photo WHERE id = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($photoid) . "' LIMIT 1";
}

else{
$query = "SELECT * FROM photo ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1";
}

$row_photos = mysql_fetch_assoc($photos);

echo $row_photos['title'];?>
<br/><br/>
<?php
echo $row_photos['content'];
?>

<a href="http://hokietracks.com/home/photo.php?photoid=$row_photos['id']-1">Previous</a>

So that link doesn't replace $row_photos with an id number it just leaves "$row_photos" in there.

<?php

require('connect.php');

$query = "SELECT * FROM photo WHERE id = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($photoid) . "' LIMIT 1";
}

else{
}

<br/><br/>
<?php
?>

<div id="<?php echo 'e'; ?>">
<a href="http://hokietracks.com/home/photo.php?photoid=$row_photos['id']-1'">Previous</a>
</div>

Anyways, please know from this point on, when people post codes, don't expect them to be full code you can slap into your code. Read it, analyze it and read the message. When most people post codes, they're giving you a heads up or a hint on how things should work.

Quoting myself. Read!

Well I am sure that by now you know I am a beginner so it would help both of us if instead of having a cynical view of every post you explained things like why you are using php code as a div id. The only way I have used div id's before is when I am styling with CSS.

some html here
<div id="<?php echo 'e'; ?>">
</div>

It was an example on how to use a PHP tag with HTML. That was your problem and I showed you how to do it. It wasn't meant for you to copy and paste. I'm just trying to hint you through this rather than writing it myself, which if I did, would've been done hours ago.

Ok, I hope this is close to what you meant:

<?php

require('connect.php');

}

else{
}

<br/><br/>
<?php
?>

<a href="http://hokietracks.com/home/photo.php?photoid=<?php echo $row_photos['id'] ?>-1">Previous</a>

And this is what the url displays "http://hokietracks.com/home/photo.php?photoid=2-1" so the -1 isn't working. (But I am close  ;D)

Wow, even I should have figured that out! :D

But it works now! Thanks so much man. I know I pissed you off to no end with my stupid questions but you have no idea how much I learned because you were patient and didn't just post the code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.