[SOLVED] a function that is unknown

maij

i am fairly new to php, but not new to programming.

so with that, here is my question.

many times, i see source codes containing "<!--[sometext or argument]-->

i found out, that these codes having certain codes on the website itself like a media player.

but in source code, it simply stays <!--[sometext or argument]-->

now i do not know if this is related to php, since i am no genius and i do not know every langauge used to develop a website.

so, my question is, is this a special function from php that replaces the actual content on the webpage but not in the source code

OR

is this another programming langauge that allow do have these kind of functions.

any decent response is appriciated

These are nothing to do with PHP, these are simply HTML comments. There may be times when PHP software outputs them, but they'll usually only serve as comments to make the source clearer.

There is another use for them though, which does follow a similar syntax to the code you provided; IE conditionals. For example:

<!--[if IE 5]>This is internet explorer 5<![endif]-->

These tags allow you to create content just for [specific versions of] Internet Explorer. Most commonly used to include an extra stylesheet specific to IE's needs..

ok thanks for the answer, but my question isnt solved yet!

ok, so lets go back the site that uses media player. it was windows media player btw.

now i searched their complete website for any code that involves the media player component.

No results.

how could they add or hide such code?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.