Reverse order of items in a row?

SEVIZ

I have a row in my table with peoples names.  Right now it is last name first and then first name.  Is there a query I could run to reverse these two words in all the rows?

Currently looks like this:

Murphy Peter

Kovac Walter

Want it to be:

Peter Murphy

Walter Kovac

Thanks for any ideas.

Well you can use a combination of LOCATE(), LEFT() and RIGHT() MySQL functions, but to me, it's just not a good way of storing data. Why not have 2 columns - one for first name and one for last. Then you wouldn't have this issue.

Well, you'll still end up using those 3 functions in the SQL unless you plan to do it the heavy way by using PHP. Create 2 columns - one for first name and one for last name. Then use an UPDATE SQL query.

Look here on how those 3 functions are used - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/string-functions.html

I'm pretty sure a similar case came up using those 3 functions. If you really want and have the time, traverse a few pages in this forum and see if you can find that topic. But it's probably not too hard. Give it a try. =)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.