starting/accessing MySQL on a server

mallard

I’m new to MySQL. I run my web site on free space supplied by my ISP. I’m trying to learn how to use MySQL databases. I’m not sure if MySQL is installed on my ISP’s server. I ran a phpinfo script which shows the version number as well as all of the following information for MySQL on the server:

mysql

MySQL Support enabled

Active Persistent Links 0

Active Links 0

Client API version 4.0.14

MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE none

MYSQL_SOCKET /tmp/mysql.sock

MYSQL_INCLUDE no value

MYSQL_LIBS no value

Directive Local Value Master Value

mysql.allow_persistent On On

mysql.connect_timeout 60 60

mysql.default_host no value no value

mysql.default_password no value no value

mysql.default_port no value no value

mysql.default_socket no value no value

mysql.default_user no value no value

mysql.max_links Unlimited Unlimited

mysql.max_persistent Unlimited Unlimited

mysql.trace_mode Off Off

Does this mean that it IS installed? If so then how do I “start” mysql from a DOS prompt? I normally log into my ISP’s server via DOS using ftp -i ftp#.ispname.net to upload files for my web site. How do you get into MySQL once you log into a server in this way? Or do you access MySQL in some other way?

Thanks for any help! I’m really new to this stuff…

It's very unlikely that a php hosting does not have mysql; the matter is if your account has the privilege to use it. If so, they should provide you connection details, such as the server address (usually localhost, but not always), a username and a password, and a database name you could use for your purposes.

If they did not give you such info, probably your account has no mysql support

Thanks for your help, guys. I loaded phpMyAdmin on the server and it seems that there is no MySQL access. I've decided to ask my ISP about the details of using MySQL as you've suggested. I'll report back with my resolution.

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.