Export to Excel displaying error, but works...

busnut

I've got a script where users can export information to ms excel, and on one computer that uses XP, it exports fine without any errors, but then on my Vista pc, it comes up with this message:

"The file you are trying to open, '<filename.xls>', is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trustworthy source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now? Yes | No | Help"

By selecting yes, the file opens fine, but im trying to stop it from displaying that error message, and as mentioned, it only seems to appear on the Vista machine. So is it Vista, or is there something wrong with my code? Below is my code:

<?php 
$localhost = '***';
$username = '***';
$password = '***';
$database = '***';
$table = '***';
$file = '***';
$fields = "busno, chassisbody, depot, rego";

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password); 
@mysql_select_db($database) or die("Unable to select database"); 
$select = "SELECT $fields FROM $table WHERE active='Y' ORDER BY busno +0 ASC"; 
$export = mysql_query($select); 
$count = mysql_num_fields($export); 
for ($i = 0; $i < $count; $i++) { 
$header .= mysql_field_name($export, $i)."\t"; 
} 
while($row = mysql_fetch_row($export)) { 
$line = ''; 
foreach($row as $value) { 
if ((!isset($value)) OR ($value == "")) { 
$value = "\t"; 
} else { 
$value = str_replace('"', '""', $value); 
$value = '"' . $value . '"' . "\t"; 
} 
$line .= $value; 
} 
$data .= trim($line)."\n"; 
} 
$data = str_replace("\r", "", $data); 
if ($data == "") { 
$data = "\n(0) Records Found!\n"; 
} 

$filename = $file." ".date("Y-m-d",time());

header("Content-type: application/x-msexcel"); 
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=".$filename.".xls"); 
header("Pragma: no-cache"); 
header("Expires: 0"); 

print "$header\n$data"; 
?> 

As nadeemshafi9 has pointed out, the correct headers will probably fix your problem

Or you could always create a real Excel file using a library such as PHPExcel, rather than a tab-separated file.

is this available on a UNIX platform ? looks like it can, its third party anywyas i remember using the php or PEAR version and it waas restricted to platforms with COM installed wheras this one uses open XML am i right ?

Or you could always create a real Excel file using a library such as PHPExcel, rather than a tab-separated file.

is this available on a UNIX platform ? looks like it can, its third party anywyas i remember using the php or PEAR version and it waas restricted to platforms with COM installed wheras this one uses open XML am i right ?

PHPExcel is pure PHP, though it requires the zip, xml and gd2 extensions, but no need for COM, so it will run on Windows, *nix and even Mac.

It can read/write either Excel 2007 ("almost open XML") or Excel 5 formats.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.