About to start promoting...need feedback

phatgreenbuds

It is indeed that template, which I paid for and have perfectly legal rights to use EXACTLY as I have. Thanks for the quote nrg_alpha but not needed.

jcombs, It turned out that I liked it exactly as it was created versus the others that would have required me to edit and thats why I used it. Add to that I was in a HUGE time crunch to get this completed. Eventually I will make some minor changes but for now to get up and running I see no reason to move that up my list. For now I am merely interested in the flow and functionality of the site itself.

Back to nrg_alpha, the fact that you know its a template is far from being ummmm, "owned". Some of us do have a life away from the keyboard so I choose to do things under the mantra of "Work SMARTER not HARDER".

Other then the template factor what about the site would need changing.

Fair enough..1- you paid for it, 2- as you mentioned, it saves time... But the idea behind this forum is for people to get feedback on their own stuff (without the use of a template - as you can tell, templates are not exactly welcoming). We prefer to 'work harder' (as you put it) because we enjoy building sites. It's about the learning process as developers by doing things hands on (yes, I realize you added the bottom portion).

I recommend people letting others know its template-based from the get go. While you may see it from a standpoint of: 'What difference does it make? Feedback is feedback', it may make a difference to others who only wish to share feedback based on whether you built the thing or not. Otherwise, it can be viewed as critiquing someone else's creation, whether it's legal (paid for) or not. Some members might not care one way or the other.. Others might.

I for one am not fond of templates for critiques, simply because a lot of the work (or in some cases, practically all the work) was done by someone else (in other words, it's not the original developer requesting criticism on his/her work, but rather someone else is -  but that's just my opinion).

Sorry if I rained on your parade so-to-speak.

It is indeed that template, which I paid for and have perfectly legal rights to use EXACTLY as I have. Thanks for the quote nrg_alpha but not needed.

jcombs, It turned out that I liked it exactly as it was created versus the others that would have required me to edit and thats why I used it. Add to that I was in a HUGE time crunch to get this completed. Eventually I will make some minor changes but for now to get up and running I see no reason to move that up my list. For now I am merely interested in the flow and functionality of the site itself.

Back to nrg_alpha, the fact that you know its a template is far from being ummmm, "owned". Some of us do have a life away from the keyboard so I choose to do things under the mantra of "Work SMARTER not HARDER".

Other then the template factor what about the site would need changing.

I think you missed the point.  nrg_alpha explained it pretty well.  As far as the site, I'm not fond of the use of flash for the banner or for the menu. It is a very poor use of flash in my opinion.  Flash should be used for rich media and interaction, not a simple banner and certainly not for a menu unless the entire website is flash based. I've looked at template monster many times in the past and the style is pretty generic which is why I knew right away where you got it from. (could have been another template site).

yes I should have been more clear...never even thought to mention it was a template and in my head I was not even thinking that would be what y'all were looking at. So in the future if I should ever use one again I certainly will divulge that.

At this point I am still learning PHP, trying to learn Javascript, and maintain my day job.  Something had to wait and that was learning Flash...so for peeps like me templates are a huge help.  Of course I do hope to one day get to the point that I can do it all my self but for now this is what I got.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.