FUNCTION ATAN2 does not exist

michaellunsford

I'm doing some research on geocoding and found a mysql script that appears to work fine on my test server, but not on my live server. The test server has mysql 5.0.67, and my live server has 5.0.66a - but I'm thinking this isn't the problem.

Nutshell, the query calls a function ATAN2, which returns the error "FUNCTION my_table.ATAN2 does not exist" on my live server, but returns records on my test server. I copied and pasted the same query to both, so I believe I've eliminated query syntax as the problem.

Note, I did have to run mysql_fix_privilege_tables on the database recently. The database was and is working fine for everything else I'm doing, but this query revealed some underlying issues. Perhaps I need to run another kind of fix on it as well?

Thoughts?

It's for a geo radius search.

SELECT `id`, X(gm_coor) AS `latitude`, Y(gm_coor) AS `longitude`,
      ATAN2(
        SQRT(
          POW(COS(RADIANS(30.311325)) *
               SIN(RADIANS(Y(gm_coor) - -91.909917)), 2) + 
          POW(COS(RADIANS(X(gm_coor))) * SIN(RADIANS(30.311325)) - 
              SIN(RADIANS(X(gm_coor))) * COS(RADIANS(30.311325)) * 
              COS(RADIANS(Y(gm_coor) - -91.909917)), 2)), 
        (SIN(RADIANS(X(gm_coor))) * SIN(RADIANS(30.311325)) + 
         COS(RADIANS(X(gm_coor))) * COS(RADIANS(30.311325)) * 
         COS(RADIANS(Y(gm_coor) - -91.909917)))
      ) * 6372.795 AS `distance` 
    FROM `my_table`
    HAVING `distance` < 1

Interesting, SELECT ATAN2(PI(),0); (from the refman) returns a value. That query does work on another server just fine, though. Hmmm, what does that mean?

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to - dump the existing list of functions that [i've] created. Can you elaborate?

I'm fairly sure the information_schema has a "routines" table....

EDIT: wait, are you sure you didn't have a space between the function name and the open paren?  There's an sql mode that buggers that up....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.