PHP Voice Analysis?

imperium2335

Hi, this might be beyond the scope of this forum but here it is:

Id like to make something where a word is played, then you repeat the word into a mic.

The waveform of the word you said is then compared (roughly) to the one that was played. It then tells you how well your pronounciation is.

Maybe first it needs to convert the waveform to an image and compare them?

If this can't be done with PHP, what language would be best? And how? It needs to be used through a website.

Thanks muchly in advance, any input is appreciated.

I'm afraid PHP is not well suited for that, for several reasons.

1. It runs on server, so it has no access to any hardware on client's computer.

2. It's an interpreted language which means it's relatively slow for sophisticated calculations.

I think you could do something like this

1. Use flash application to record the sound and send to server

2. On the server PHP calls external voice recogniton application and parses it results

3. The result is send back to flash application and displayed to user.

ahahahahaha i tried this about 3 years ago, basicaly you need to get all teh right tools and things.

what i did was put a letter of sound into a dataabse and then use a sound concatinator to past them together depending on what is written in teh text box. It is NOT GOOD ENOGH haha if it was that easy dont you think everyone would have it. You can buy algorithms or find free ones im sure.

my aplication could say: a sleep(5) b sleep(5) a sleep(5) c sleep(5) u sleep(5) s

ahahahahaha i tried this about 3 years ago, basicaly you need to get all teh right tools and things.

what i did was put a letter of sound into a dataabse and then use a sound concatinator to past them together depending on what is written in teh text box. It is NOT GOOD ENOGH haha if it was that easy dont you think everyone would have it. You can buy algorithms or find free ones im sure.

I'm afraid PHP is not well suited for that, for several reasons.

1. It runs on server, so it has no access to any hardware on client's computer.

2. It's an interpreted language which means it's relatively slow for sophisticated calculations.

I think you could do something like this

1. Use flash application to record the sound and send to server

2. On the server PHP calls external voice recogniton application and parses it results

3. The result is send back to flash application and displayed to user.

sounds good

No need to convert it to jpg. Digitised sound is after all a sequence of numbers. All you need to do is to compare how 'similar' are two arrays[1]. Still, this is not a job for PHP. You can use PHP as a 'middle-ground' software between web page, and external application written for example in C/C++, but doing it all in PHP would probably be too slow.

[1] Recommended topic to Google/read: digital signal analysis

No need to convert it to jpg. Digitised sound is after all a sequence of numbers. All you need to do is to compare how 'similar' are two arrays[1]. Still, this is not a job for PHP. You can use PHP as a 'middle-ground' software between web page, and external application written for example in C/C++, but doing it all in PHP would probably be too slow.

[1] Recommended topic to Google/read: digital signal analysis

wow that opens up alot of doors now you explained it thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.