Individual User Permissions

tail

I currently have a login system and custom CMS, both which I programmed set up on my website. I have many things that my CMS can manage such as news, users, music, games, IP banning, counter stats, polls, and site settings. I'm trying to set up a permission system that is unique to each user. As of now the 3 user groups just classify the users as a member, moderator, or admin. Members aren't allowed to view the admin page, moderators can see it but are the only allowed to add things, and admins can add, edit, delete, and have unrestricted access.

What I'm trying to accomplish and to have a page where I can configure each individual users' permissions. For example, if I want a certain moderator to be able to delete only news but not games. I'm having trouble creating a table for the database though.

Any ideas are much appreciated! If you don't understand what I'm trying to accomplish then please let me know and I'll try to explain further!

It is better to create "groups" with said permissions and then assign users to groups rather than uniquely assign permissions in most cases.

I am not an expert on this my self, however you may want to look into the bitwise permissions threads on these boards as well as elsewhere.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,113143.0.html

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,110890.0.html

I have a lot of different sections in my site and I would like to be able to add users to a table with their information and login credentials as well as the permissions table. This way, I will be able to set certain users to be able to do certain things. My question is, what is the most efficient and best way to go about creating such a table?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.