Keeping Font Sizes Consistent

ryanh_106

Hi,

This seems like a really simple question but it is really puzzling me.

I have several options for font's that my site can use, ideally its supposed to use "Gill Sans MT", but not everyone has this so I am using:

font-family: "Gill Sans MT","Microsoft Sans Serif",Verdana,sans-serif;

The problem is that it seems Gill Sans MT is a lot smaller than the other fonts, if I set up the font sizes for my menu so it is exactly the width of the page (using pt or px) with GillSansMT then the menu doesnt fit if the font gets substituted for Microsoft Sans Serif or Verdana. I thought setting the font sizes as pt or px would ensure they were the same size no matter what the font??

Any advice is appreciated.

Ryan

you might be able to use javascript to determine which font a user has and grab a different style sheet depending on which one it is. Personally, I stick with the reliable 5 or so fonts that everyone has for body copy and if I want a specialized one for headers or other uses, I save it out as an image. You can use the <h1> tag to surround an image, just use the 'title=""' attribute with the img tag for SEO.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.