Checklist for collector site

mugwumpr

I've been trying to wrap my head around this one for awhile now, and it's got me totally stumped. I'm not even sure where to start....

I'm running a collector site with a database table for "eggs" and one for "users". I've got all the display, selecting, sorting, linking and whatnot down for the eggs, and I've got a perfectly useful registration form for the users. What I'm currently lacking is a way to connect the two to produce an editable and save-able checklist so that the user can maintain a list of eggs that they have/need.

I have no idea how to set this up; not even if I need a new table (I suspect "yes"), or if it can be done with the existing ones through PHP.

There are currently 221 eggs, and it's growing daily. As of this moment, there is 1 user - me. No point in others if they can't save their lists.

I have a lovely checklist that does everything I want, EXCEPT save which little boxes have checkmarks in them, based on which user is logged in.

Will someone please give me a little shove in the right direction? Point me to a tutorial maybe? A book? Even an example page that I can cannibalize or adapt?

:-\

MySQL version 5.1.30, InnoDB

Thank you!

Hi

Could you post the table structure?

It would probably be best to have a table of eggs and a table of owners, and then a 3rd table that lists eggs owned by a particular owner.

However, assuming you have a table of eggs also containing the owner (so a particular type of egg could have multiple lines, one for each owner), a rough idea:-

SELECT *

FROM (SELECT DISTINCT eggName FROM eggs) AS a

LEFT OUTER JOIN eggs b ON a.eggName = b.eggName AND b.eggOwner = $TheOwner

LEFT OUTER JOIN eggOwners c ON b.eggOwner = c.Person

However this is probably not a good idea as it means loads of duplicated info on the rows on the table for identical eggs owned by different people.

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.