[SOLVED] blah.png to run PHP script

lamorra

I want users to be able to do like "http://site.com/sigs/theirusernamehere.png" and a PHP script is ran that takes the name they put before the .png if the image doesn't already exist.

I am guessing I'm going to need to use a .htaccess along with PHP, but I have no clue how to make it happen. I do know how to make the image and put their name on it.

Any help would be awesome!

I already know how to make images. I want the user to be able to go to "http://example.com/directory/sigs/BLAH.png" and if BLAH.png isn't created, create it. If it is, output the image.

Meaning, I don't want people to have to go to some other page, fill out a form/send variablesthrough the URL, and then it generates an image. I want the code to grab the BLAH part of the BLAH.png and create a sig based on that. I know it can be done, I've seen it before. I just can't think of how to go about doing this.

RussellReal: check your typos.

Try this -

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} ^.*\.png$
RewriteRule ([a-zA-Z]+)\.png$ path/to/file.php?username=$1

I assume their name has only letters.

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the long response time...

Anyways, I used Ken2k7's way since he is spot on to what I'm trying to do (as well as RusselReal). Thanks for all of your help, didn't imagine it would mostly deal with the .htaccess...

Ahh last minute question.

With this part:

Will that make the image creation script run again if I allowed _ and - in the name? Like "blah-1.png" creates the image, then they go to "blah_1.png"? I am going to allow those 2 characters in their names, and will just replace one for the other in when the image saves.

Hi

Having only briefly played with .htaccess (and then having problems with it being inconsistant, as though it was cached), can I ask a quick question about this:-

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} ^.*\.png$
RewriteRule ([a-zA-Z]+)\.png$ path/to/file.php?username=$1

Do I take it the first RewriteCond checks the file (say, Blah.png) exists, while the 2nd checks that the requested file is a png file? Also I take it that if both these conditions are met then the RewriteRule is invoked, and that would do take a requested file of blah.png and redirect to path/to/file.php?username=blah, or path/to/file.php?username=blah.png?

Thanks as this is useful.

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.