Remote mySQL connection problems

bobbfwed

I am running WinXP and I have PHP 5.2.9-2 installed with an Apache 2.2.1 server. I have a server running with a similar setup (but with Vista and mySQL 5).

I tried installing mySQL on my computer but this computer has had some unresolvable (reformatting and all) problems for quite some time, and mySQL just could not run.

So I attempted to connect to the remote server. I setup PHPMyAdmin and it hooked up fine. I then uninstalled mySQL from my computer (and restarted). PMA was still able to connect and operate 100%. I then tried to run a script on my server with a mysql_connect() to the remote server. But it comes back "Call to undefined function mysql_connect()".

phpinfo() shows no mySQL present, but PHPMyAdmin works just fine! How is this possible? Does PMA use some manual loading of the functions or some wierd thing like that?

I have the extensions setup fine (the mySQL extension loaded fine when I have mySQL installed).

Do I have to have mySQL installed on my computer to access a remote mySQL server with PHP?

OK, so I have now reinstalled mySQL 5 on my computer, hoping that maybe with that installed it would work.

Still no joy.

So I must be doing something else wrong. The other extensions are loading (GD, ZIP, GZ2, etc.) but not mySQL.

Any help?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.