Dumb Question from a Complete Novice - Any guidance appreciated

cello

Hi

A distant friend setup a basic database using Mysql + PHP that allowed webusers to logon to my website using username / password. This stopped working a while ago and I only now have sometime to look into it.

When I SSH into the server and run Mysqladmin or mysql I get the connect socket error. Looking at the my.cnf file the socket is pointing to ...

socket=/home/virtual/FILESYSTEMTEMPLATE/.mysqlsock/mysql.sock

I can only imagine that as my friend in question hosts a few websites he used templates tomake things easier. The problem to me is that socket path is wrong but I am not sure what to change it to. I cannot find a mysql.sock file on my system so I was going to creat one in /tmp but fear that will not work either.

I gather that if I could stop / restart the daemon the mysql process would regenerate a mysql.sock BUT the problem is I dont have su access! I have tried to contact my webmaster but he is proving hard to contact.

Any help would be appreciated.............a dumb question i know!!

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.