Grid in Table Rather than List

gamerzfuse

I am attempting to make a grid view of an inventory list we have, including images and some brief text beneath them.

The problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to make the table go 3-across?

Currently I have:

ITEM

ITEM

ITEM

ITEM

ITEM

ITEM

I want:

ITEM    ITEM    ITEM

ITEM    ITEM    ITEM

I was told it required pseudo-matrix width?

Not a clue and googling that was very unrewarding.

Thanks!

<?php
$items = array('item1', 'item2', 'item3', 'item4', 'item5', 'item6', 'item7', 'item8', 'item9');
echo '<table><tr>';
for($i=0; $i<count($items); $i++){
if($i%3){
	echo '</tr><tr>';
}
echo "<td>{%items[$i]}</td>";
}
echo '</tr></table>';
?>

<tr><td>any cells between this will be considered one row</td> <td> any of these next to eachother will always go next to one another</td></tr> 

(tr = table row)

if you wanted to avoid tables...then you could use a combination of different float and clear properties in css :-)

<tr><td>any cells between this will be considered one row</td> <td> any of these next to eachother will always go next to one another</td></tr> 

(tr = table row)

if you wanted to avoid tables...then you could use a combination of different float and clear properties in css :-)

Took your advice and used <div> items.

Only problem now is that I have some entries that are.. blank?

http://www.goodwillsusedcars.com/vehiclesgrid.php

(lots of images to load)

blank entries eh?

Seems like they all loaded ok for me.... that is alot of images....thinking of pagination at some point? :-)

Definitely looking into pagination.. the worst part is that it's loading the full images and just sizing them down, not creating thumbnails.

It's a work in progress :)

Looking into the fact that you didn't see them, might just be a cache issue.

EDIT: Not just my machine. Checked on 3 others.

First two rows load fine, then there starts to be blank <div>s with nothing in them.

Odd.

It's not blank divs, there's no divs in those spaces' Its your css. between every row you nee to ensure that you clear all the divs. it the middle or left div is a little longer than the right one, the next div will float along side it. or set a specific height for the divs

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.