Cannot load PHP dll extensions

ineuw

This issue has been around on numerous posts in the past, and when I encountered it, I managed to solve it, but not this time.  I stopped using Apache a few weeks ago, and when I restarted it, I got the following logged error:

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'C:\\PHP\\ext\\php_openssl.dll' - The operating system cannot run %1.\r\n in Unknown on line 0

the path is:

path=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin;C:\PHP

The PHP related settings of httpd.conf are:

LoadModule php5_module "c:/PHP/php5apache2_2.dll"

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

PHPIniDir "C:/PHP"

These are the enabled extensions, and they are in the order of the original .ini file. 

extension=php_dbase.dll

extension=php_gd2.dll

extension=php_mbstring.dll

extension=php_mcrypt.dll

extension=php_mime_magic.dll

extension=php_mysql.dll

extension=php_mysqli.dll

extension=php_openssl.dll

extension=php_tidy.dll

extension=php_zip.dll

OS & software info:

Windows XP SP3

Apache 2.2.8 (win32)

PHP 5.2.8

MySQL Server 5.0.27

Firefox 3.0.10

I tested the path by adding ;C:\PHP\ext but it didn't help.  I checked each change in the path by using the path command in the command prompt window.  I even rebooted, just in case.

I successively placed php_openssl.dll in and restarted Apache to test each configuration:

C:\PHP

C:\PHP\ext

C:\Windows

C:\Windows\System32

In final desperation, I placed a copy in each of the above folders, but it didn't help.

Apache is installed as localhost (127.0.0.1) to manage Wordpress/PHP/MySQL and everything works fine, except openssl is required to connect Wordpress to Blogger for file downloads.

In phpinfo.php, extension_dir is C:\PHP\ext, but it's not indicated that openssl is enabled or disabled.

What am I doing wrong?

Did you read the installation requirements:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/openssl.requirements.php

Make sure you read user comments!

Thanks for the quick reply and the user comments were very important.  It is now resolved and openssl is loaded and working fine.

The cause of the problems were libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll.  There were other softwares which used these dll's and they were loaded prior to the start of Apache/PHP.  I eliminated all other copies (they were all in the path), and restarted the services.  Now all softwares use the same latest version and one copy, placed in C:\PHP.  The php_openssl.dll is in the proper \ext folder.

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.