Location of sesion coockies

Logical1

I have been trying to find out where session coocies are saved (XP or Vista).  Some say it is saved on server and some say on the users computer.  I disabled coockies on my browser and could no longer log in in to ites which work with sesion cookies so this convinced me that it must be on the user computer, but looking at the usual folders I can see no cookies resembeling what the session coockie should be (or even the one I made on my tet site).

How do you open and see session cookies and where are they?

Thanks in advance 

By default session cookies have zero lifetime (they are deleted when the browser is closed.) Cookies (session or regular) that have a zero lifetime are not stored as a file, they are kept in the browser's session cookie cache in memory.

Daniel0 we are not dealing with mombojombo here.  If something gets to a computer and does some work then it must exist somewhere too, even temporarily.  Question is while this illusive item is doing its thing were can we have the pleasure of reading its content.  Because if we don't bother to do so the hacker might. 

I might be relatively new with PHP but that's a fortunate thing becasue it occasionally let me question the very obvious to everybody else such as this case.  Thanks for your answers (both of you) anyway, that's what a good forum is for.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.