Mod rewrite and GD

I'm setting up a server for someone and I'm lost on 2 things.

1. How do I install GD2? I've already downloaded the .tar.gz as well as read various online tutorials. I can't seem to get it working though! Please help

2. Mod_rewrite isn't working. The .htaccess file is correct because right before getting this current server, it was working on another (shared) server). I've looked in httpd.conf and it all looks good (rewrite_module is uncommented) AND when I run phpinfo(), it shows that the mod_rewrite module is loaded. What could be going wrong?

Thanks!

Wes

1: Letting us know what OS oyur using might help.

2: It could be any number of things. Have you added logging to your htaccess file to see if its spits out anything? What about apache's error log? Looked in there?

UPDATE

GD IS INSTALLED

MOD_REWRITE IS WORKING

Now my problem is, getting GD to work. It IS installed correctly. And I've uncommented the 'php_gd2.dll' in php.ini, but it's still not showing in my phpinfo(). The reason I know GD is installed is because I checked it all out in SSH and it looks good. I know there probably could be thousands of reasons for this, but what are some common? I've rebooted the server twice (by the way, is there a way to just reload the php.ini without rebooting the whole server?)

It's a Linux box

Wes

I've rebooted the server twice (by the way, is there a way to just reload the php.ini without rebooting the whole server?

When making changes to the php.ini all your need to do is restart the Apache service. No need to need to restart the whole server

Also you say you're using linux. Files ending in .dll are for Windows only so loading php_gd2.dll will impossible on linux. PHP extensions on *nix based systems end in .so.

Can you tell use how you have installed PHP? If you installed PHP via your systems package manager you should install gd2 for PHP via your package manager as this will take care of everything for you. However if you installed PHP manually you may need to recompile PHP to enable GD.

What distro are you using? Compiling php from source really isn't required these days, extensions are usually installable via your package manager.

You'll have a script within /etc/init.d that is used to stop/start/restart apache. It could be called anything from apache, apache2 to httpd.

You would execute this script by executing....

sudo /etc/init.d/apache restart

for example.

What distro are you using? Compiling php from source really isn't required these days, extensions are usually installable via your package manager.

You'll have a script within /etc/init.d that is used to stop/start/restart apache. It could be called anything from apache, apache2 to httpd.

You would execute this script by executing....

sudo /etc/init.d/apache restart

for example.

Thanks for that bit of info :)

Wes

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.