I need to grab a specific array item without using key and value

scrubbicus

So I'm trying to create a dynamic form and what I need to do is this for instance.

Here's the array

[0] => 'name', [1] => 'email', [2] => 'select(day-sun-mon-tues-wed-thurs-fri-sat)'

What I want to do is to grab [2] out and put it as a string. However I don't want to have to do this

$day = array[2];

I want to be able to search the array for characters in this instance would be select and then once it find the characters select it would pull that array item out and I can then make it a string.

What you are describing sounds like a pretty poor implementation that is not very flexible as you cannot have fields with similar names/values else you would get unintended matches. Oh well, based upon what you describe, this should work:

<?php

function returnPartialMatch($array, $search)
{
    //Iterrate through each value in array
    foreach($array as $value)
    {
        //If value has search string, return value
        if(strpos($value, $search)!==false)
        {
            return $value;
        }
    }
    //No match return false
    return false;
}

?>

Oh crap your right I could have just done that... so I'd probably do a foreach loop on my array and then use a string function to search for 'select' and if the strpos() returns true make that array item another string. Thanks.

I also have one more question that just arose. Is there anyway through PHP to grab all $_POST globals that were submitted and put them into a string or array without directly asking for them?

$_POST globals that were submitted and put them into a string or array

$_POST is already an array.

Why exactly do you not want to have to use the array indexes?  It sounds like you're solving something the wrong way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.