INSERT large text and BLOBs into fields

snorky

How to INSERT

• large amounts of text, e.g., up to 64K
  • blobs of any size

A regular insert would seem to be the way to do it, but I'm puzzled as to how to manage inserting 64 kb of text. Maybe I could do the following, but it looks like trouble waiting to happen.

insert into tablename
(lname,fname,location,message,picture,language,beverage)
values("Smith","Jane","New York City","[b][i]beginning of text ... 30k more words ... end of text[/i][/b]","","Pepsi-Cola");

Inserting binary data has me stumped completely. Can I use a file path/name instead of text as in

insert into tablename
(lname,fname,location,picture,language,beverage)
values("Smith","Jane","New York City",/public_html/images/person.jpg,"","Pepsi-Cola");

If so, that would also resolve the insert-big-text problem.

• If the size of inserted file > column length is the file truncated or does it crash the server?
  • Is there a max length of the query?
  • Is there a buffer that holds the characters in the query? If so, is the buffer size adjustable? Does overflowing the buffer crash anything?

I can't find any of this in the mysql documentation, and haven't found a coherent article that addresses these questions in a context that I can understand. Of course, the key to getting a good answer is to ask a good question. Hence, my predicament. Yet, this must be a very common issue.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.