desperate help needed getting email working through site

AR_1986

Hi, im trying to get email working from my site, having put the email address i wanted in E-mail Address and E-Mail From nothing happens. I try sending test emails from the contact us and i get nothing. what exactly is the E-Mail From line asking for? its default value is set to osCommerce <root@localhost> what do need to replace that with? I have already changed the value of E-mail address to alex@mywebsite.co.uk and i even tried pasting the same into the E-mail Address From line but nothing happens. Do i need to use my incoming and outgoing mail server on any of these or is an email address sufficent? Im confused lol thanks for you help people?

I know smtp is enabled because i use it for my outlook account. I have checked to see what my smtp settings are and have managed to get the following: -

SMTP server: authsmtp.streamline.net

SMTP username: your email address (ie root@mywebsite.co.uk)

SMTP password: your password

SMTP port: 25

but i still dont receive any emails when i send from my site.

i have the following settins on the Oscommerce admin: -

My Store

E-Mail Address- sales@mywebsite.co.uk

E-Mail From - sales@mywebsite.co.uk

E-Mail Options

E-Mail Transport Method - smtp

E-Mail Linefeeds - LF

Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails - true

Verify E-Mail Addresses Through DNS - true

Send E-Mails - true

i have tired changing the email options to -

E-Mail Transport Method - sendmail

E-Mail Linefeeds - LF

Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails - false <--set to false for now

Verify E-Mail Addresses Through DNS - false

Send E-Mails - true

but nothing happens.

My webhost server is set to Linux. If thats any help.

Are you trying to send mails from your local installation? If so, you will need to install a mail server, or use some kind of sendmail spoofing system.

Im not sure what that means, im just trying to send mail from my website. There is a contact us page and when myself and customers come to my site i want them to be able to fill that form out, click send and then have it come to my email address. Im using the oscommerce admin page to configure the email options but nothing seems to get those messages to send.

You need to connect to an SMTP server to send email.

If you don't have one installed on your PC you'll have to use someone elses.

However, it could get complicated if they require authentication, as mail() doesn't support SMTP auth. You'd have to use something like phpmailer I think...

You need to connect to an SMTP server to send email.

If you don't have one installed on your PC you'll have to use someone elses.

However, it could get complicated if they require authentication, as mail() doesn't support SMTP auth. You'd have to use something like phpmailer I think...

Thanks, i have downloaded PHPMailer 4.04 but i have no idea what to do with it, im really new to php. I just purchased an oscommerce and i've managed to get everything running apart from email. What would i do next with this. Thanks

I've never actually used it myself so I have no idea.

May be worth posting in 3rd party PHP scripts board.

i just did a quick test with the email settings. I used my hotmail address instead of sales@mywebsite.co.uk for the email address and email from settin gs and as soon as i filled the form out and clicked submit i recieved it in my hotmail account. So this means there is a problem with my hosting right? Thats the first time its ever worked. Im using streamline.net if its any help. I'll send them an email now and see if its something maybe on their end.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.