Setting up database

N-Bomb(Nerd)

Hello, I'm pretty new to designing databases and I'm not quite sure as to how one would set something up as I need.

In my database I'll have the following information that won't have additional rows added to it.. will just be updated as needed:

Username, Picture, Notes, Date Added to DB

However, that's just for their information.. because each user will also be tracked on their comments they've left, which would be following (will have many rows as each new row will be a comment they've left):

Comment, Date Posted, CommentID, CommentU, CommentSect

As I said I'm pretty new to databases, so could someone explain the proper way of setting this up?

I'd start with the entities before you start filling the fields.

So far I see the following:

• Users
  • Pictures
  • Comments

After you've done that you can set the relations and properties of these entities

Is this correct so far?

So, would those be the 3 tables that I should use? How would I be able to correctly identify what pictures or comments belongs to which user though?

So, would those be the 3 tables that I should use?

With the given input I guess that could be your tabels yes.

How would I be able to correctly identify what pictures or comments belongs to which user though?

That's where relations come in using foreign keys i suggest you read up on that.

The following could be your relations

1 User has many Pictures

1 Picture has many Comments

I've tried looking up foreign keys, and I'm not coming up with much information. Could you link me to some resources, and perhaps show me an example query as to where I could use the id from the users table and connect it with something in the comments table all within the same query?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.