[SOLVED] session hangs with mod_rewrite

DavidAM

I've been searching for the solution to this, but can't find any similar problems.  I am developing a website using a Linux box at the house.  Running Debian 2.6.18-6-486, Apache 2.0.55, PHP 4.4.1.  I have worked with PHP Sessions many times and had no problems.  For this site, I wanted to use "clean" urls; so I started looking at mod_rewrite.  I have it working, but when I combine the two, the server hangs. 

.htaccess file (in document root)

RewriteEngine on
#RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(trw)/([^/]*)/?$    $1.php?id=$2        [L]

trw.php (also in document root)

<?php
/*
	Testing mod_rewrite with Sessions
*/
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ob_implicit_flush(true);
//echo 'Start ...  ';
session_start();
echo '  ... started!<BR>';
$_SESSION['ID'] = $_GET['id'];
?>

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Testing mod_rewrite with Sessions</H1><BR>
<PRE>
<?php

echo 'GET: '; print_r($_GET);
echo 'SESSION: '; print_r($_SESSION);

//session_close_write();
?>
</PRE></BODY>

I can request (and receive) this file all day using a standard query string: trw.php?id=2 using any value for the '2'.

I can request (and receive) this file once using the "clean" url: trw/2 (again any value for '2').

After getting the page from this "clean url" request, all subsequent requests to the server just hang.  The browser never receives anything.

If the subsequent request involves a rewrite, the entries appear in the rewrite.log (same entries as for the successful request).  In any case, there are no entries in the access_log or error_log for this hung request.  The only way to get the server back is to restart using apachectl.  I am seeing this behavior in Firefox and IE.  It has to be a problem on the server side.

Since the problem started I narrowed it down to the session_start function.  As I said, sessions work fine without the rewrite; and the page works fine if a query-string is used (thus no rewrite).  It is only the combination that seems to be causing the problem.

Has anybody ever seen this before, and more importantly, has anyone ever resolved this before?

• 1 month later...

Well, if anybody is interested, I found a solution.  I cleaned up my apache config file, removing all Virtual Host entries, and generally making it more like the standard config file.  This had no impact.  Then on a whim, I changed the order of the LoadModule commands from:

LoadModule php4_module        modules/libphp4.so
LoadModule rewrite_module       modules/mod_rewrite.so

to:

LoadModule rewrite_module       modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule php4_module        modules/libphp4.so

This seems to resolve the problem.  One caveat though.  The rewritten pages did not display error messages.  All my pages start with error_reporting(E_ALL);.  Again, requesting the page with the standard url (trw.php?id=2) allowed the errors to show, but requesting the "clean" url (trw/2) did not.  I looked through my php.ini and found display_errors = Off.  I don't know why it displays errors without the rewrite, but once I changed it to On, it starting working.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.