Does display: none still use bandwidth?

c_shelswell

Question's in the title really. I've got a site that's a clone of another one but this user wants me to remove the header. It appears over quite a few pages so the easiest way for me to sort it is just to add display: none to the css for the header. The thing is does this still use bandwidth? There's an image in header which is added in the html this is now hidden. Is it still getting loaded though? I guess i could just delete the image off the server so it can't load.

Your advice would be great.

Sounds like something you could probably test yourself by using a page that contains a reference to a test/uniquely named image on the server and checking the web server access log to see if that image file had a request that corresponds to the web page request.

I just tested this out by uploading an html document with an image in it, and display set to none. I then used firebug to change the display to block. And the image was there. I used a 3MB image, so it wouldn't have downloaded instantly, yet it appeared instantly, so I'm going to say yes, it does download and take up bandwidth. Unless anyone has any opposing info to offer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.