Gracefully handle UTF-8?

random1

Hey All,

I currently have my site fully supporting UTF-8 (mulitple languages), support german, french, korean, japanese etc.

Is there a way in PHP to detect if a user support utf-8? So far in my testing if you own windows with Eastern language pack not installed it just comes back garbled:

이것은 테스트입니다

Help would be much appreciated :D :D

Browsers typically send an accept-language and accept-charset header.  I don't know how much you can trust those for availability of certain utf-8 characters though, as a browser can easily "support" utf-8 without being able to display every code point.  You can probably rely on accept-language more for that, as someone who accepts zh-cn ought to be able to display chinese, for example.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.