[SOLVED] If..then trouble on login page

gladwell

This is the bare bones of a login page I'm writing. Everything is working except that the echo statement in the else clause is always on the page. I expected it to only appear when an incorrect u/p combo is entered and login.php is presented again. What's wrong with the way I've written the conditional statement?

<?php

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

}

$username = $_POST['username'];

$password = $_POST['password'];

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE username like '$username' AND password like '$password'";

if ($result = mysql_query ($query)){

if ($row = mysql_fetch_array ($result)) { //username and password are in the database

header('Location: http://url_here/index.php');

exit;

}

else//username and password not in database.

echo '<p><font color="red">The username and password combination you entered does not match those on file. Please try again.</font></p>';

}

}

?>

Here's the form code:

<form action = "<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];?>" method="POST">

<fieldset>

<p>Username: <input type = "text" name ="username" size ="10" maxlength="20" ></p>

<p>Password: <input type = "password" name ="password" size ="20" maxlength ="20" /></p>

<div align="center"><input type ="submit" name="submit" value="Login" /></p></div>

</fieldset>

</form> 

Shouldn't your code be this:

<?php

}

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE username like '$username' AND password like '$password'";

if ($row = mysql_fetch_array ($result)) { //username and password are in the database

exit;
} 
else  //username and password not in database.
   echo '<p><font color="red">The username and password combination you entered does not match those on file. Please try again.</font></p>';

}

?>

Here's the form code:

<form action = "<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];?>" method="POST">

<fieldset>
<p>Username: <input type = "text" name ="username" size ="10" maxlength="20" ></p>
<p>Password: <input type = "password" name ="password" size ="20" maxlength ="20" /></p>
<div align="center"><input type ="submit" name="submit" value="Login" /></p></div>
</fieldset>
</form> 

try this:

<?php 

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE username = '$username' AND password = '$password'";

$result = mysql_query($query);

if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 1) {
			exit; 
		} else {  //username and password not in database. 
   		}
   	}
}
?>

don't use the "LIKE" when checking use the "=" instead since the username and password are unique

That took care of the echo statement always showing on the page, but now I get this error message:

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

I originally had  mysql_num_rows() in the query but couldn't get passed this error message, so I changed it to what is shown in my original post. I have read that this error is thrown when something is wrong with the query. But I don't think anything is wrong with the query since it works when I change the function to ($row = mysql_fetch_array ($result)).

It is.  And I said you did that...

With mysql_num_rows(), you need the result (as a variable) inbetween the parentheses.

http://us2.php.net/function.mysql-num-rows

Of course, that is what you did.

Now, the rest of my quote:

So, that appears to mean that your query did not work.  So, add a echo mysql_error($link_variable_name) to figure out what the problem is.

The error message is the same. Do I have the mysql_errno in the right place?

exit; 

echo mysql_errno($conn) . ": " . mysql_error($conn) . "\n";
   		}
   	}

Changed the location and am now getting this error message

Cannot modify header information - headers already sent

with a reference to line 10 of the code which is this

I originally had this error message which I fixed by moving the script into the <head></head> section of the page.

No, not solved. I'm currently getting the header error:

Cannot modify header information - headers already sent

with a reference to line 10 of the code (below) which is the mysql_errno function I added to get more information on the error.

Before I posted my original question, I was getting a header error that I fixed, I believe because I moved the location of the script.

If I use this script

exit;
} 
else  //username and password not in database.

}

I get everything I want except that the echo message displays all the time, which I figure indicates I have a problem with the conditional statement.

If I use this code

<?php 

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE username = '$username' AND password = '$password'";

exit; 
   		}
   	}
}
?>

The echo message disappears, but I then get this error message:

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

Okay...try this and let me know what happens:

<?php 

if($result = mysql_query($query)) {

exit; 
   			}
	   	}
	}
	else {
	}
}

?>

Sorry for the delay in responding to your suggestion 947740-had to go to work.

This is interesting. I'm no longer getting any error messages, but when the login page reloads after an invalid u/p, the echo statement doesn't appear.

After looking at this script again, I realized there is a fundamental design flaw.  Your

statement is what actually determines if there is a match in the database.

So, if there is not a match, nothing will show up, unless there is an error.  Try this:

<?php 

if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 1) { //username and password are in the database

}
	else {	//username and password not in database. 

}
}

else {

}
}

?>

That did it. Thanks. To be sure I understand why it works,

removing

($row = mysql_fetch_array ($result)) 

enables the error message to appear. mysql_fetch_array($result) is the wrong tool for the job in this script, and its presence was enough to prevent the error message from echoing?

Short answer: yes.

Well, that statement was always going to return true, unless the query itself failed.  That is because unless there is a connection error or something along those lines, $result will always return a value, and $row will always be set to that value.  So, regardless if the user data is correct, your script would think that the user was logged in.

mysql_num_rows(), however makes sure that there is 1 row of data matching the login data, which actually does ensure that the user is logged in.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks. I'm trying to use session_start() to pass the first name of the logged in user to the redirect page.

Here's what I have

$query = "SELECT firstname FROM table WHERE username = '$username' AND password = '$password'";

session_start();
		$_SESSION['firstname'] = $row[1];
		header('Location: http://url_here_index.php');

}

and then this code at the top of the redirect page

<?php 
session_start();
echo "Welcome, $_SESSION['firstname']"?>;

I have also tried passing $_SESSION['firstname'] as a hidden variable, but that didn't echo either. Can you recommend a way to do this?

The error message get with this script is Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';'

On the page with:

$query = "SELECT firstname FROM table WHERE username = '$username' AND password = '$password'";

session_start();
		$_SESSION['firstname'] = $row[1];
		header('Location: http://url_here_index.php');

}

Put session_start() right after the opening <?php like so:

<?php
session_start();

Do you have error reporting turned off in php.ini?  You should have gotten an  error...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.