Pop up mp3 player - continuous play.

flashwood59

Good day.  I went searching for an answer to this but I probably didn't search for the specific word.

Here is what I want to do:

I have a pop up mp3 player that I built in Flash. I am using it in a Joomla site. I am using javascript to make it pop up automatically when the template index page loads. I want it to play continuously and not refresh when the user navigates through the site.  I DO NOT want to use frames or iframes.  Is there a php or javascript snippet that will detect if the pop up is active? Is there any way to get the page to pop-up initially and then have the code ignored if the user closes the pop-up?

It would be nice to have the pop-up close upon exit from the site but the first two problems are the priority.  I am surprised this has not come up before.  Or maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Jeff

Well, with any webpage a user has to keep it open for the flash file to continue streaming the music. If you are using a popup, then when the user browses through the rest of the website, the popup should stay in the background (as long as they didn't close it).

You can't block a user from closing the web page.

You could make your site using ajax and request content on each page. Then have a player on the top section and load the content using ajax to navigate without changing the main page (index.php). Just my thoughts.

No meaning to hijack this thread, but I have a very related problem.

I'm not sure if you mean to do this the same way I am, but if you are, then come look at my thread: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,258250.0.html

Read it and come back to me if its the same concept as yours. The flash player is on the same page as the actual content, but I am trying to do what www.we7.com does.

Ah, I was thinking about it for a while, and maybe they have a .htaccess set up along with some kind of script to grab the contents of the url after the #/ and use that to load a page using ajax or something like that?

I'll give that a go and see what happens.

I have tried addressing this in joomla.org forums and haven't received answer.  I have been trying different things.  If you are unfamiliar with Joomla, it is a template controlled method of presenting a website which uses a cms to display content retrieved from a database. Therefore there is only one page of HTML. I have included the javascript call in the head and body tags of the html. Every time the site refreshes, I get a new instance of the mp3 player.  I was using a joomla plug-in in mp3 player that was part of the page content but every time the site refreshed it started the mp3 player from the beginning. The problem is that I want the player to start music from list automatically, and this code is all executed from the parent page.

What I require is a way to open the mp3 player as a pop-up or not, and not have it start over or create another instance(overlapping music yuck). 

I do not want to block a user from closing the pop-up, I want the mp3 player to stay closed upon refresh if the visitor has closed it.

Could this be done with cookies?  Could this be done with a looping script? Both?

I am trying to make the player as un-annoying as possible.  However when visiting a musical artists site, you would expect music automatically.

Frames will work however they will not work well with Joomla and are not great with SEO

Thanks

Jeff

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.