CHMOD

twilitegxa

Can anyone tell me how to set permissions on PHP files? I have been told to set the permissions on a php file to 677. I have no clue how to do this. Can someone please explain to me how to do it?

if your files are stored on a linux server you can ftp or ssh into your server and change the file write options.

ie if you were changing a folder and all sub catagories on linux you would ssh in and type # chmod -R 677 foldername

in ftp you depending on your client usually right clcik and set file permissions and then type in 677 in the box.

or if you are creating the files using php and you have the correct permission to do so you could use the php function chmod

http://uk2.php.net/chmod

I do have an FTP program, FileZilla, but it does not seem to have a way to change the mode on the files. Or at least not that I have found. :-( I am using WAMP Server on my localhost. The files have already been created, but could I alter the php files and include the php chmod function to change the mode manually? What would be the best way to do this? I am trying to learn how to use osCommerce and that is where I have run into the "change permission" dilemma. In the PDF documentation on how to use it, it tells you to change the permissions, but I don't know how. :-( In FileZilla, when I right-click, there is no option to set the file permissions.

I do have an FTP program, FileZilla, but it does not seem to have a way to change the mode on the files. Or at least not that I have found. :-( I am using WAMP Server on my localhost. The files have already been created, but could I alter the php files and include the php chmod function to change the mode manually? What would be the best way to do this? I am trying to learn how to use osCommerce and that is where I have run into the "change permission" dilemma. In the PDF documentation on how to use it, it tells you to change the permissions, but I don't know how. :-( In FileZilla, when I right-click, there is no option to set the file permissions.

http://www.tech-evangelist.com/2007/07/15/filezilla-tips/

are you on windows, *nix, or a [choke] mac [/choke]

just a quick tip, if you are testing locally it is usually better to install a virtual machine running linux I pick ubuntu server and use that as my web server even though it remains local, simply because you might find php acts differently on a windows machine than it does on a linux one and most hosting companies will use a linux machine.

I'm running Windows XP, but in my FileZilla, the option for File Attributes is not available. :-( I'm trying ti install ubuntu now. We'll see how hard it is for me to use. :-)

if you have never used linux before I would put on a pot of coffee

on the upside ubuntu will ask what you want to install when you get to end of installation

you need lamp and the database also ssh can use downlaod and use putty from your windows machine then to connect to ubuntu server.

should be able to sudo apt-get install filezilla server

I think if not grab vsftpd is the one I use and seem to do the job just fine

sudo apt-get install vsftpd

will get and install it for you then you will have to edit the conf file a quick google search will show you the answer, when asked to edit a file in ubuntu I always use vi

so sudo vi etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf or something like that..

anyway good luck too you if you hgave trouble send me a message and will if I am still awake help you out

I'm running Windows XP, but in my FileZilla, the option for File Attributes is not available. :-( I'm trying ti install ubuntu now. We'll see how hard it is for me to use. :-)

I don't think the question was meant toward your computer, but your server.

I don't think the question was meant toward your computer, but your server.

oh god, hope you haven't formatted a windows installation for ubuntu - linux is great for servers but as a OS for your on pc, nobody deserves that much of a headache when they want to perform simple tasks :D

oh god, hope you haven't formatted a windows installation for ubuntu - linux is great for servers but as a OS for your on pc, nobody deserves that much of a headache when they want to perform simple tasks :D

What's wrong with Linux OS?

What's wrong with Linux OS?

if I wasn't brought up with the ease of windows nothing but as everything has been made so easy for me since the release of windows 3.1 all them years ago (was a dos monkey for a bit) I am now far far to lazy to use linux - don't have to remember functions and such in windows I just click things till it works and if it doesn't work I just have to click harder and faster!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.