What is more efficient? An additional "text" column or multiple tables?

ComputerPsi

I've got a lot of historical price data that needs to be stored. Each product has a historical price. Each product has about 500 or so listings for historical prices. There are about 7000 products.

So I am thinking I can either make 7,000 tables each with about 500 rows (Each table's name contains the product name)..

..or 1 table with 3,500,000 rows (Add an extra column with the product name).

Which do you think is better and why?

Note that there will be a few other tables too. Differentiating between table names will not be an issue.

Sorry apparently I did not describe the problem well enough:

Each product has about 500 different historical prices. This consists of two columns - date and price.

So on different dates you have different prices.

However I have 7000 different products. I can either make a third column for the product name or have a separate table for each product.

There is no difference for me in creating 7000 tables or creating a new row for each new product.

I am asking which is more efficient. Will SQL perform better with one table using 3,500,000 rows or with 7000 tables with 500 rows?

There is no difference for me in creating 7000 tables or creating a new row for each new product.

I am asking which is more efficient. Will SQL perform better with one table using 3,500,000 rows or with 7000 tables with 500 rows?

Well, it depends.. depends of what??, a little example:

Somebody wants a report for a list of products that changed his value on 2009-02-01.

If you use 7000 tables, how you will do that query??

Somebody wants a report for a list of products that changed his value on 2009-02-01.

If you use 7000 tables, how you will do that query??

Simple:

Lets say the name of a product is "apple". The corresponding table name is "P_apple" ...so to change the product's historical price you say something like:

UPDATE `P_apple` SET price="1.99" WHERE date="2009-02-01"

Yeah ... 7k tables ... bad idea.

Is 3,500,000 rows a better idea? Why?

Not, i mean ...

Make a query for all the products that changed price value on 2009-02-01.

For me too it's better a large table, the performance of the query will depends of the DB structure (indexes)

if you like make a lot of tables do it.. your querys will fly.. but the time to make the querys it will be a long time..

Good look..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.